My wife and I made a knockoff waterbox-o-truth a while back and used it to catch assorted bullets. It was fun and let me try to choke various hollowpoints with old Carhartts.
Earlier this month, I noticed that I can probably afford a block or two of visual defect clear ballistic-gel-stuff and maybe even a used or refurb digital SLR. My wife has approved purchase for personal use when the time comes.
You may also remember that I want to tweak this blog a bit in content and production value. So I am asking if there is any interest in my testing various serious/comedy loads in some different guns. With a primary focus on:
- Handgun load performance through denim across several barrel lengths in 380 ACP, 38 Special, 9x19mm, 40S&W.
- 357 magnum from 4″ and 6″ barrels because I have access to them.
- 223/5.56 load performance from 16″ barrels for my own curiosity. Probably starting with green tip to set my expectations for questionable utility ;D
- Random comedy heavy/light bullets I can force to fit in 30-30, 303, and 30-06 cases.
- 20/16/12 gauge loads from 18″ cylinder bore barrels. Especially some of the random depression-era and British crazy wax concoctions for a laugh.
- Check for yaw/fragmentation at close range in 308, 7.5×55, and 30-06
- Airguns! See what some pellets do across a power spectrum in 177, 20, and 22 calibers. And the classic reverse loaded wadcutter to make the skirt a gaping hollowpoint cavity. And every shoot will see the block’s calibration confirmed with a BB at ~600 fps.
- Plan to, say, photograph the naked bullet pre-firing because nerd reasons, run a mag into a target and/or over a chrono to check function, crank onus into gel and record results.
Now to the
shameless begging high-headed arrogance survey of charitable readers.
This will not be cheap. Especially for a guy with two kids, pile of hobbies that should probably be left to those who make actual money, and is decidedly on a budget. I won’t be able to afford $box of random ammo$ on the regular to drive content and my budget will demand I stick with loads I fully intend to use, reducing variety. Should any manufacturer/vendor/reader be willing to donate a box of or even handful of ammo/pellets, shoot me an email as listed after clicking the snake in the upper left.
If I get enough interest to justify purchase of extra gel beyond my personal block, I will get a few to handle the shooty volume. And will get back to potential donors come spring when I am ready to begin. I have a handful of ammo set aside to last until other test subjects roll in. Any donor will be featured in a new Donors sidebar when I tweak the site in preparation and will be thanked (and linked if a manufacturer/vendor/blogger) in the post documenting the test.
This won’t be science, but I hope it will get more random and overlooked loads from perhaps less used calibers and barrel-lengths pumped into a consistent medium and document for internet amusement, dorkery, and maybe even to show someone on the ammo hunt an approximate performance expectation while shopping around.
Best case, I can get my hands on some neat stuff to generate content. Worst case, I bore you with a handful of loads I manage to drag out of a bargain bin at a gun shop now and then if there is no interest in shipping free stuff to an internet stranger :/
Anyway, thanks in advance for any consideration of support.